Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Thursday, December 28, 2017

CO Scare

Yesterday as I was testing out my dehydrator making apples and pears, I had a box of pears I got from a preschool fundraiser and wanted to make some jam but there was a lot and so I also canned some.  The vanilla pear jam soooo good! 


But since all burners and plugs were used (not quite but it seemed like it) I cooked us burritos in the oven, nothing I haven't done before.  But before lunch was over the fire alarm went off.  Well the microwave above he stove quit so that meant I had so exhaust fan either and I figured that's what it was.  Well turns out no.  It sounded weird so we listed and she was saying carbon monoxide warning.  Not good.  Well I guess you are supposed to turn off all gas powered appliances and let it cool and then test again.  Well lunch was almost done and the canning was done so off went the stove and oven and we opened the doors even though it was -22*C outside and we turned off the furnace.  The alarms went off and never went again so we guess it was good this time.  I turned back on the furnace and left the doors open a bit to circulate some air.

Then off to google I went to see what I could find.  Turns out all gas ovens vent into the house they say it is a safe level.  I noticed last couple times the fire alarm went off it was when the oven was above 400, below that it never bothered.  I think its a mix of the oven needing cleaning and no exhaust fan and Neil was in town and he said something to the electric guy and he said they go off a lot when its this cold out.  Makes sense we are not going in and out very much and its pretty sealed up inside.  So I guess as soon as it gets a bit warmer so I can leave the door/window open I will clean the oven, the second sounds nice.  And we have a new microwave with exhaust fan that I bought of a buy/sell group and we should put that in before I do much more cooking.  I was thinking I haven't had a microwave in a month I didn't need it.  But I guess I need the fan.  And I want popcorn lol.

3 comments:

TeresaA said...

CO is so scary. I'm glad you are okay.

Shirley said...

We have CO detectors in our house- 3 of them.
Get yourself a hot air popcorn popper- so much healthier! I've had mine for at least 20 years.

Mrs Shoes said...

Coming from AB, we always had natural gas (omg - I miss my natural gas fireplace SSSSOOOOO much), but in this province you can't get it out in the country for less than an ASStronomical fee. Most furnaces are electric (the province SCREWS the people with over-pricing).
Not thinking about that, a couple years ago looking for a cool stocking stuffer for Mr Shoes, I hear on the radio that new builds are all going to require these CO detectors... lightbulb.
So I get one and he opens it and grins, and puts it up on the wall above the thermostat. One day it went off and I had a semi-freak out - it was just the battery needed replacing. THEN Mr Shoes tells me that it's only an ornament in this house....
Why didn't you tell me you didn't need it? I asked him.
Because it was so cute that you tried, I didn't want to bust your bubble, he said. Then added, but don't buy me tools or cool stuff, that's really more my department.
He's one of a kind, my man.

My microwave is the hood fan also -- not sure if I love it, but that's the way it was when we bought the place. It broke down once & was expensive to fix. I do like it most for thawing stuff out, because I'm famous for not remembering to take meat out of the freezer for supper.