Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Saddle Fit for Pally...and Riding Her

I been fighting this week with figuring out a saddle for using on Pally.  Not only is she shorter than my other horses but her back I quite short.  I had at first tried my cutter on her, it fits Easy good and he's not really that big, maybe 14.2
(some horse pics are not flattering at all!)




But that is a hand and a half taller than Pally and the saddle is just too long for her.  Which is too bad cause handy to use the same saddle but the cinch is too long so that would be a pain to have to switch them up as well.
(umm shes a little fat)

So the next day I figured I would try my other saddles on her in hopes one would fit.  First was English, haha I knew it would be short enough, might be a bit narrow but dont really matter Id rather not ride her in it anyways.
(It's cute on her but not right now)

Then on to the old barrel saddle I have.  Its super comfortable to ride in but I still would rather not ride in a barrel saddle all day long and it is a bit long for her but seemed to fit her otherwise so its a contender probly would work.
(cutest pic I have of her :))

Then somehow I forgot I had a my round skirted ranch saddle.  Its been in my trailer and I use it on Dee and used to be on Bailey but I dunno why I didn't try it first.  It seems to fit and way more comfortable for me.
(not sure of just the thin felt pad but it seemed like enough and not too long either)

So I cinched her up and thought might as well try the bridle on her too.  Well I guess her head isn't that tiny, pony bridle was on last holes and its OK but the throat latch was too short.  Didn't help I left the halter on but wasn't even close so I am moving to a regular horse bridle, Bailey had a small head so hers should fit decent, maybe today will try it out.
(after I ride they get a bit of grass,
 not that they need it but they love it so much I give them some, 
makes up for getting no grain)

(and I just think this is cute can see her head through her legs :)

Shes kinda a dork when you go to get on tries to walk around in a circle and then when that doesn't work she tries to throw her head into mine, haha of course shes short so it only hit my shoulder.  I hit her neck away and she quit that but still walked around.  So after trying her on the mounting block I put her butt against the fence, that kinda annoyed her specially since I wouldn't let her walk ahead.  Got on and just puttered around trying to figure out if the saddle fit and how her steering was.  She's pretty soft in the mouth.  I think her bad habits will go away quickly when she realized I am smarter than her (at least I hope I am)  Nice to ride super smooth, just did a short ride since shes so fat we need to work our way into longer rides.  I plan on riding her and Easy everyday so it hopefully wont take to long.  Not sure I'm ready to venture out in the big world alone with her yet shes quick and boy can she turn.
(Sorry kinda long and I woulda cut it shorter but I dunno how anymore, 
I'm sure I did at one time but not anymore so you can see how she is trying to get on,
 it was windy and the camera moved some so you get to see arena dirt for some
 then me riding.  Watch Easy in the background what a dork)

Easy is not ready for the big world yet either although I think he'd be fine, he stepped on the gas line outside the arena and pop up he went all 4 feet haha I laughed at him, hes not used to watching where his feet are, but it doesn't bother him, next step hes back to his normal self.

3 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I miss having a 14.2 horse I can ride. It makes it a lot easier to mount and dismount at that height. All that spinning would have made me dizzy. She's cute.

cdncowgirl said...

Easy is only 14.2?! He looks so much bigger - which is funny because I thought to myself once "hmm, I thought cutters were short" when I was looking at his pics lol

Shirley said...

I had that issue with Clancy at first too- it's fixable. Ponies sure nuff can be quick, we used to have a Welsh mare that delighted in dumping adults by making quick turns at a gallop.