Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Monday, June 30, 2014

More Fun at Branding

Last Sunday the 22nd was one of my favorite brandings, the one where I get to be on the roundup crew and just ride my horse all day :)  It was a little different, there were 4 herds this year instead of three but it didn't seem to take any longer than usual.  Pretty efficient way to get a lot of cattle branded in one day...I'm guessing around a thousand maybe a little less.


I got up early, around 5 so the ponies could eat before we went, I took Jess and we got there at 7 just in time to visit for a few minutes and then mount up and go.  The first herd comes in super fast usually but of course not this year, they just didn't wanna move and we had to push them the whole way in.  After they were in and cows sorted out we had breakfast and coffee before the rest of the crew came.  Mmm I love it when others cook :)


Then as they got started branding we headed out to the second corrals, I wasn't on the ball enough this year to get a ride with my neighbors and so I had to go all the way to corrals, usually I get dropped of just past the texas gate.  We headed west and got a bunch of cows moving and another group come from the south and joined us and just before the gate another group come from the north and they went in really well, they are getting used to that corral, its only been there a few years before they went the other way across the field.




We stayed there a while and waited had a couple beers, the rest of the crew came and they branded a bunch and took a beer break and then we had lunch and the gathering crew left.  We headed out to the third corrals and I was with a group that went to the creek, a few cows across the creek and 2 guys went to get them I stayed to push others up but I wish Id gone with them they saw a baby deer still wet, aww.  Anyways got them pushed up and they always get to the gate and try to rush back, well we were ready this time, we got them turned around and out the gate and into the corrals, a couple calves had to be roped in but that's pretty normal.

We sorted cows and the other crew came and we sat around for a while, the 4th set was using the same corrals so we couldn't be too fast.  Finally we went, pretty big field (about 4 sections) and it was mostly 2 year olds, they like to go fast so that was interesting but at least they moved well.  We got back a little too quick and had to hold them in the corner, we gave them lots of room and they were pretty good till we let the other cows out and then in they went.  Worked a lot better than I thought it would.  Not too many there so it didn't take long, I was tired and it was pretty sunny and warm and I was really tempted to go home but I waited it out and went back to the house for supper and boy was it worth it!  I was sooo full though.  Finally got home, fed the ponies and went inside and headed to bed, I cant do those 19 hour days very much anymore, whew.

3 comments:

Shirley said...

A long day but a good day! That's a lot of cattle.

CDH said...

That is ALOT of cattle to do in one day!! But, I see short sleeve shirts! No slickers!
Cheri

lisa said...

Wow, now that is a very long day, but looks like you had a great day for it!