Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Jazz In School

So for 2 weeks now I have had Jazz and Razz in the corral with plans to work with Jazz and ride Razz.  But for some unknown reason I was super nervous about working with jazz.  How silly is that.  All my horse life I have had young horses and I never was worried about what I was doing even if I had no idea I just done it anyways.  Part of it I think was my non succesful work with Magic earlier this year, still not sure what to do there, but moving on to a horse I like that was not handled when I got her (lol as she was born here)

It was so bad I was even shaking by the time I got out there, would have been so easy to just walk away but they saw me and were coming over so I sucked it up and in I went.  Sure glad she is not afraid of people or it would be easier to walk away but probly wouldn't have bothered me as much cause the reason I think I am nervous is I really like her and don't want to mess her up.

Well I started with catching and tying up Razz and then as Jazz was trying to get in the way all the time over to her.  I know she is super sensitive on her nose (always has been) ans so putting the halter on is kinda a chore.  She is funny cause she doesn't try to get away, she just dives her nose right in.  So I have to make sure I am ready when she does.  It worked perfect this time and I walk her to the fence and tie her up too.  Funny how as little time I have spent actually handling her she is pretty easy going and I rarely have trouble.
(kinda unsure what I am doing)
Well I really only planned on currying them and picking up feet and trying on my new hackmore on Razz.  So first I curry Jazz (planned on Razz but Jazz was so convenient)  and she is so good, a little high headed when I get near her head, but the rest of her body is fine, under her belly, her chest, legs, and butt she don't care if I touch.  But I see she does need a little work on the mane cause it is a mess!  I never spent the time last summer to spray her, so that may wait a bit yet.
(mane is twisted and on wrong side, what a mess!!)
Then I brushed Razz and she loves her tummy being brushed and she just stood there with her head stretched out at eyeballs rolled back.  I like her to show Jazz she can enjoy it, I think she learns by watching me interact with the other horses quite a bit.
(I love my Pretty girl!)
Then I went to pick up Jazz's feet and she was so good, the first foot I had to pull on the hair a bit but the others she just picked up when I run my hand down her leg.  That surprised me, I thought it would be a little more of a fight, so I left it at that, we will work on it a little each day and I will hold them up longer and even clean them out.

Then onto the face, I know I have to do more with her nose, but I want her to be able to trust me yet and so I reached my hand over her nose and onto her forehead, she pulled away a little at that but realized soon it was like I do when she has no halter on.  I was careful not to touch her nose yet ( I will accidentally soon, lol) but I had my whole arm in front of her face.
(Who couldn't love that face, not the prettiest shot I have ever taken though)
Then she was done, I praised her and let her go.  Then tried my new hackmore on Razz and somehow the hanger doesn't sit right so I will have to figure that out.  Pretty happy with how it went.  I was real tempted to leave the halter on Jazz but I don't like to unless I have to and so I didn't, she might as well get used to it going over her nose now.

4 comments:

Country Gal said...

That's great! She sounds like she is quite the placid one and enjoys you there ! Like any animal the more you work with them the easier it can get for both ! Lovely photos they are beautiful horses ! Have a good day !

Shirley said...

I sure understand about being nervous about handling young horses. Usually al it takes is just getting in there and getting started though. Your Jazz sounds like a willing partner. Baby steps!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Sounds like a good session with Jazz, and I am so glad to read you did not leave the halter on, that scares me when I see horses esp young ones turned out with a halter on.If it is not a breakaway it can mean the end of your horse very quickly.My sister in law lost one just last month in a "safe" pen with a halter, and she still found a way to get hung up

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Awww...What a cutie.

I wonder if the white on the nose has anything to do with her sensitivity? Beretta has a very white/pink nose and doesn't particularly care to have me touch it either.