Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Nighthawks and other birds

The last couple years we have had a lot of nighthawks around our yard.  They are a pretty cool bird (for a bird).  Normaly I dont really like birds, especially ones that make noise, but these nighthawks are different.  They do have a squeaking noise they make, but even cooler is the nooise thier wings make as they are flying.  It took me a long time to figure out thats what was making the noise, but I finally figured it out and it is kinda a deep wooo noise.

The other cool thing about them is that they almost blend into the fence when sitting on it.  Our yard fence is too new and green to match them yet, but after it weathers it is almost impossible to tell them apart.


I also have this other bird that was sitting on the fence as I was taking the nighthawk and its almost the same from the front, but not the same body shape at all.

5 comments:

lisa said...

I don't think I have ever seen a nightHawk that was really neat to see the pictures!

Shirley said...

Neat pics of the night hawk. I think the other bird is a fledgling robin.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Ooohhh-I think that is the same bird that scared Megan and Turk half to death today. I hadn't seen one before. Actually I walked right by this one and didn't notice it. It blended perfectly with the rocks and was nesting on the ground.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Cute little bugger the last one !

Cheryl Ann said...

I've only seen nightbirds as they fly by! They really are cute birds! thanks for sharing!!