Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Friday, December 31, 2010

More Razz work

I have been riding Razz as much as I can, I am at that fun stage where I just want to ride her all day everyday.  I'm kinda disappointed its been so cold the last 3 days I haven't gotten to ride.  On  the 23rd I was really frustrated with her and me for not being able to do the counter bending, so on the 27th I went back and after we were warmed up, Jardi come to help us but it wasn't working, so she gave me another exercise similar to counter bending but not in a circle.  I just ask for her to bend her head to the outside and put my outside leg on her and she moves down the side of the arena sideways.  We were both frustrated and after a whole bunch of times we sort of got it and I was tired and so was Razz.  Poor pony was sweaty and she kept holding her head down on the ground while I was unsaddling her.

I went back on the 28th (Tuesday) and was trying to figure out what was going so wrong, when I decided since I have been riding her especially this fall, I have been putting her head towards the center of the arena and now I was asking her something totally different.  And I know she should do it anyways, but she has been so resistant with her mouth it was just too much right now till I get her bending and giving as soon as I ask.  So as we were going through the center she moved away from my inside leg so I kept asking her to and about halfway to the wall, I moved my leg more towards her shoulder and she did a counter bend!!! I thought it was a fluke but we did it three more times and it was no big deal to her!!  I was pretty excited about it.  We worked on rollbacks for a while which she isn't very good and yet, but shes getting there and then I asked for another counter bend and she did  it!  We only got one way so far cause I didn't even try the other way yet, but I am so happy with that.  I hope she remembers but the time we go back tomorrow.

  If the weather holds like the weather man says it will, we will be working the flag tomorrow and the buffalo on Sunday and I will try to get some pictures.  I havent rode Gypsy or Tom since forever, but now the weather is supposed to be nice for the next two weeks, they are in my plan as well as getting halters on the babies, who will be a year old tomorrow!  Wow time flies!

8 comments:

Shirley said...

I love it when the light bulb comes on and they get it; progress! I loved your Christmas photos, specially the little girl in your boots - so cute! Looks like you had a good family Christmas, the best kind. Hope you have a wonderful 2011, and maybe we can meet up again.

Linda said...

Happy New Year.........I hope in 2011 you have more "light bulb" moments than ever and every one of them is a great one!

gtyyup said...

How awesome that you're gettin' some ridin' in!!!

Happy New Year and wishing many blessings to you and yours~

5 Starr's Farm said...

Happy New Years Crystal,Thanks for all the visits.
Hope the new year is filled with lots of great rides.

Judy Johnson said...

You are so fortunate to be riding! Our weather has been miserable for so long that riding is a distant memory! Happy New Year to you and your herd!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good for you grabbing some time in the saddle. I'm such a wimp in the winter. I need someone to motivate me to get out and ride together. Riding in the snow is really magical, though. I got to do that several times last winter, even on Apache and I'm still basking in that glow. lol!

~Lisa

Rising Rainbow said...

Sounds like you're making progress. That's what counts. I sure wish I was getting some riding time in but the weather just is not cooperating here. At the rate I'm going it's going to take a crane to get me into the saddle. LOL

Janice Grinyer said...

Woot woot! The communication happened! you two are not in "different countries" anymore!!! YAYAYAY!