Feel free to use any pictures you would like from my blog, but I would like recognition please!

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Golden Relish

My mom is allergic to everything! from horses and cats to wheat and strawberries, tomatoes, mustard, beef, lettuce, egg yolks. Anyways she cant have most relishes because they have mustard in them, and when you cant eat ketchup or mustard, food gets kinda boring.

Well I found a recipe she says everything in it was okay, so I tried it out. And so will everyone else, cause it made 17 pints and 6 half pints. Way too much. Especially considering I don't even like relish myself.

First of the vegetables

5 pounds onions


and five pounds of cucumber and 2 celery hearts


and 3 red and 3 green peppers and 1 head of cauliflower


Chop all vegetables up and put through food grinder. I used my slap chop, but by the end I was sure wishing it had a power button!

Put vegetables in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1 cup course salt and cover with water. Cover with saran and let sit on counter overnight.


In the morning, Drain water from veggies, squish to make sure all water is gone. Then in a large pot whisk together 5 cups vinegar, 3 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon tumeric, 2 cups flour and 6 cups sugar.


Heat to a boil and simmer 2-3 minutes.

Add vegetables and bring to a boil. I only could make half a recipe at a time, cause I just didn't have a big enough pot.

Ladle into jars, put lids on and put in boiling water caner and boil for 10 minutes.

Remove jars from Caner and be prepared for how much it makes!

2 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Looks yummy! I would skip the bell peppers as they seem to give me heartburn however they come , but the rest I would certainly try

Crystal said...

Ya I am not a fan of peppers either, but my mommy sure seems to like em so I added them in.